The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Picking a Number

We had our first visit with our facilitator this week.  Thanks to my good friend who has had this facilitator for the last few years, I wasn't nervous--I was actually looking forward to it.  She was so delightful, positive and encouraging.  It seemed like she really enjoyed getting to know the kids and their interests.

For the sake of record keeping we had to go over a bunch of lists and I was supposed to grade where my kids are at in their learning process, in both mechanics and attitude.  I've never liked writing report cards, but I found myself pathetically unable to put a number on my kids.  Firstly, I realized that I was inclined to be tougher on my kids than I ever was with other students.  It was hard to pick a high number when I know they're capable of going to the moon and back!  :-)  Secondly, I just plan ol' couldn't reduce them to a number--they're so much more than that.  As much as I love numbers and straight lines and precise measurements and things that fit into tidy boxes, my kids fit into my heart not just my brain.

So today I'm thankful that I have been given the privilege to invest my heart into their minds and their hearts.  It helps because I kind of feel like I need a "day off" and a date with my husband--instead it's a Saturday where he's working and the big sister is off for a tournament.  The break and the date will happen.  Pausing to give thanks renews my strength for today.  That's all I need--strength and joy for today.

"Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces."
Psalm 34:5


*Also wanted to a share a link to a post in Sonlight's blog about requiring proficiency that really encouraged me in some of the choices I'm making with my son.  It might encourage you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment