The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Giving Thanks

It's the weekend that we Canadians celebrate the goodness and bounty of our lives.  So many things to be thankful for...  Our annual tradition is to pause between turkey and dessert for each one around the table to express thanks for the greatest blessing they've received in the last year.  It's always hard to choose, I often have to say a few, and I usually shed a few tears.

High on my list this year is definitely this adventure in wild obedience.  In the spring I was agonizing over whether or not to teach two kids at home and at the same time feeling a bit of anxiety about some of the things my oldest was dealing with in junior high.  I went over all the possible outcomes of all of the possible choices, realizing there were risks to any decision and trust would be required.  It was going to be a leap of faith to take the steps that we believed God was directing for each of our children--for the ones we would teach at home and the one we would send to school.

At that time, I came across this verse:

"I will teach all your children,
and they will enjoy great peace."
Isaiah 54:13

ALL my children.  He will teach them.  They will enjoy great peace!  What a promise!  I claimed it as my verse.  I even have the lettering to put it up in my classroom...someday...when I have some spare time...  I want the reminder that He's there helping these little ones that I'm teaching and that He's there helping the one who is in a different classroom. 

I can see that it's true as I look back over the few weeks of school so far.  He's been there, involved in their lives, working things out in their hearts that I never could have orchestrated.  He loves them and is invested in their lives.

Today I give thanks for this wondrous miracle and I bless you with the peace of knowing that He will teach your children and give them great peace--whatever educational path they are on.

2 comments:

  1. And since we are all children of someone, we all can claim that great peace! Love the verse. Now I'm thinking about what i'm going to say at dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very true Hillary. We home schooled up to grade 11 then trusted God to find a high school for each of our three as they reached that point. What a blessing to watch God unfold those days for them and see them grow and flourish and be such a blessing to those around them. God placed special people at the schools for each of them, according to the desires God had placed in their hearts. We just need to trust God for the miracles. He gives great peace!

    ReplyDelete