The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Important Lesson

"I can't!!  I can't do it!!"

You have no idea how crazy those shouted words make me feel.  It seems it would be so much easier to ask for help or something...

And so before I blow and he melts down completely, I send him outside for a few minutes.  I stand at my kitchen window and watch him struggle.  I pray that he'll find the courage to face the giant.  My heart aches as I watch him run with tears streaming, dog keeping pace trying to comfort.  I know this is why we're here.  In a classroom this would be a behavioral problem, but here in my home it's the heart that matters--and can matter--more than nouns and verbs.  Learning how to face giants is the most important lesson of all.

I pray and wait.  And the gentle reminder comes that I too sometimes feel like "I can't".  It might look different, but it's all the same.  It wasn't that long ago that I said, "I can't" to homeschooling and now I find myself doing it by His power and grace.  "I can't," turned into, "Please help!" and something amazing happened.

A little callused hand slips into mine and eyes that are shining with more than tears tell me that he's ready.  Not only is he ready, but he has a new idea about how to tackle the problem.  Something I hadn't thought of.

It worked.

I'm in awe.

This child has a heavenly Father who is on his side.  My part is so small--important, but small.  The greatness of the God who created this little man and Who longs to see him succeed even more than I do--this power is on his side.

The fact that he later asked, "Mom, am I an action verb?" is just the icing on the cake.

Our God is ready, willing, available to help.  We just need to ask.  And wait, listening, for the answer.

What shall we say about such wonderful things as these?
If God is for us, who can ever be against us?"
Romans 8:31

No comments:

Post a Comment