The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Feeling Like a Yo-yo

In my private confessions with close friends I've frequently found myself saying, "I'm feeling like such a yo-yo."  It feels like something I don't want to admit publicly.  (You know, like on a blog.)  After all, there are those who are eager to point out all the obvious reasons why homeschooling is a crazy idea.


All the stacks of shiny new books fill me with excitement and I can hardly wait to get started!


The kids are bickering.  Again.  I take deep breaths.


We do a trial run of an online Spanish lesson and for the rest of the day the kids repeat the ten words they learned.  They're such little sponges--they're fun to teach!


By the time supper is over I'm spent.  And they still need to be put to bed.  My son reminds me that, "You can't rush prayers."  I take deep breaths.


This morning my friend tells me, "Yo-yos are fun!"  (You can see why she's one of my favorite people.)


I find myself pondering.  


A yo-yo is sent out, but always remains anchored.  In the hands of a master it can do amazing things.  When it reaches the end of it's rope, it bounces back to the hand that sent it...most of the time. Sometimes it just dangles, hanging helplessly without enough momentum to return.  Then the Master gently rewinds it. He may send it out again with fresh momentum...or tuck it in His pocket for a bit.


Sometimes I feel like a yo-yo.  And it's okay.


"...Your life is safe in the care of the Lord your God,
secure in his treasure pouch."
(1 Samuel 25:29b)


1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I am LOVING your blog! We also have decided to home school our children this year. And in spite of all my training, I feel inadequate, scared, but excited and challenged...like a yo-yo, too. We're going to officially start on Sept. 6th. Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete